Project: Educational Puppet Show
Description of the Project
All young children love puppets and puppetry has been shown to be a successful means of educating young people and of dealing with issues that can be otherwise more difficult to confront.
ANLICHE will use a puppet family in a video aimed at 7 to 12 years olds. The puppet story will start with the diagnosis of epilepsy in a family member and look at how the family learns to confront and to then accept the diagnosis.
Objectives of the Project
The video, which will be shown to more than 5,000 students in 20 primary schools in the Metropolitan Area of Chile, aims to eliminate stigma thereby improving the self-esteem and self-confidence of children with epilepsy. Following screening of the video, a social worker will be in attendance for discussion on the subject. In addition, the Chilean Ministry of Education has agreed to make more than 200 copies of the video available to schools throughout Chile.
Activities of the Project
- To request the support of the Ministry of Education, in order to extend the project to schools and deliver the video around the country;
- To write script for the video;
- To select employees in ANLICHE who are going to record their voices and handle the puppets;
- To purchase the puppets that are going to represent the different characters;
- To purchase the recording equipment;
- To rehearse the voices and movements for the video;
- Recording, edition, copy and delivery of the video;
- To register the video into the copyright;
- To write the survey: How much do you about Epilepsy?;
- To contact the Schools Head Teachers to get the authorisation for the videos presentation;
- To coordinate the meeting and resources needed with the Schools teacher for the videos presentation;
- To coordinate the transportation to the different schools;
- To visit the schools in order to show the video and discuss it;
- To carry a survey before the video and a test after it as a way to evaluate childrens knowledge of epilepsy;
- To send copies of the video to the Ministry of Education;
Monitoring and Evaluation
To make an assessment of the project calculating children education about epilepsy and the knowledge they received during the project implementation;
The Chilean League against Epilepsy will contribute to the project financially and with the professional staff mention above.
A neurologist and volunteers will contribute with their time and knowledge without receiving any financial reward for their work.