To mark the occasion of the centenary celebrations of the International League Against Epilepsy, IBE presented Peter Wolf (now Immediate Past President) with a special proclamation. The document was produced on very high quality handmade vellum. The logos of IBE and ILAE as well as the logo of the Budapest congress were painted by Irish artist Noeleen Frain, who also used hand calligraphy for the text. The document took more than two weeks to produce using special inks to withstand fading. The result looked fantastic!
The presentation was made by Susanne Lund, IBE Immediate Past President at the Opening Ceremony of the 28th International Epilepsy Congress in Budapest on 28th June 2009.
The wording on the proclamation (which was drafted by IBE Secretary General, Eric Hargis) is as follows:
To Celebrate a Centenary of ILAE Services to People with Epilepsy 28th International Epilepsy Congress, Budapest
- Whereas, the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) was founded on August 30th, 1909 at the Hotel Bristol in Budapest; and
- Whereas ILAE was created to understand the epidemiology of epilepsy, to increase the awareness of epilepsy, to understand the pathology of epilepsy and to promote the creation of national epilepsy organizations; and
- Whereas today ILAE has a vision to achieve a world in which no persons life is limited by epilepsy; and
- Whereas ILAE has 96 chapters and 15,000 members throughout the world; and
- Whereas the International Bureau for Epilepsy shares ILAEs vision and goals;
- Now therefore be it resolved that the International Bureau for Epilepsy commends ILAE for a century of service to the global epilepsy community and congratulates ILAE on this the occasion of their centenary celebration.
A high resolution copy of this photograph is available on request to email@example.com.