The decline in economic growth in Swaziland has seen 69% of the population living below the poverty line. This poverty has a direct effect on quality of life for the countrys population in particular vulnerable groups such as those living with epilepsy. Moreover, the high unemployment levels in Africa affect more significantly people living with epilepsy and other disabilities. Therefore, there is a need to create new jobs through income generating initiatives.
As a result, the Swaziland Epilepsy Association is launching a Poultry rearing project with the following objectives:
- Improving the socio- economic status of the people living with epilepsy and other disabilities by providing them with a job.
- Promoting independent living and better self-esteem amongst members of the support group.
The associations members will each contribute with a chick and will purchase 175 two-week old chicks from other community members. These chicks will be raised to maturity, and then 90% of the chickens will be sold. The remaining 10% will go to production of new chicks to sustain the project. Given an estimated 90% survival rate of the initial stock, there will be an estimated supply of approximately 180 full grown adult hens and roosters to sell to the local population. After taking into account the large available market for indigenous chickens, the project founders are prepared for a large market base. The association has begun an assessment of potential clientele in the chiefdom as well as ways to improve word-of- mouth amongst the local community.
The project will receive US$5,000 from the Promising Strategies Program